Desperate effort to move properties away from ocean by CRANE after storm smashed Australia’s east coast

  •  Several seaside cabins have had to be removed by crane in Newcastle
  •  The Stockton Beach shoreline is eroding at a rapid pace due to recent storms 
  • Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes has asked for a natural disaster to be declared 

Coastal erosion on the shores of Newcastle has resulted in beachside cabins being removed by crane in what the mayor called a ‘natural disaster’.

Newcastle City Council was forced to act quickly on Tuesday to remove the cabins at Stockton Beach after storms further eroded the area’s shoreline, threatening to sweep the cabins into the ocean. 

Further storms predicted for the area this weekend forced the council to protect the most at-risk properties, some just inches from the eroded shoreline. 

Newcastle Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes called for the area’s land erosion to be labelled a ‘national disaster’ in a letter to Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott and Premier Gladys Berejiklian.

Council had to act quickly to remove the cabins at Stockton Beach most at risk of being swept away by the predicted storms this weekend

Council had to act quickly to remove the cabins at Stockton Beach most at risk of being swept away by the predicted storms this weekend

City of Newcastle added 75 one-tonne sandbags to its protecting wall at Stockton Beach

City of Newcastle added 75 one-tonne sandbags to its protecting wall at Stockton Beach

Images show tides have eroded the shoreline where several caravans have had to be decommissioned to prevent further damage in expected storms this weekend as the properties are still recovering from damage over last weekend.

‘Given that we’re preparing for a potential east coast low this weekend, we’re actually just managing safety and risk,’ Ms Nelmes told the ABC.

‘We’re decommissioning the cabins most at risk and removing them to try to prevent them being affected by this weekend’s weather event,’ she said.

Cranes were used to remove holiday cabins at risk of being swept out to sea at Stockton Beach on Tuesday

Cranes were used to remove holiday cabins at risk of being swept out to sea at Stockton Beach on Tuesday

‘A natural disaster declaration will not only help with funding emergency work to clean up from last weekend, but also in the preparation for the weather event we’re expecting.’

In a letter written to NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Minister for Emergency Services David Elliott the Lord Mayor asked for urgent funds and assistance.

This comes after City of Newcastle reinforced its sandbag wall at north Stockton with additional one-tonne sandbags and traffic and pedestrian arrangements from Friday February 7.

Erosion from large swell threatens to undermine cabins into the sea at Stockton Beach, Newcastle

Erosion from large swell threatens to undermine cabins into the sea at Stockton Beach, Newcastle

‘The City is eagerly awaiting to hear from the State Government regarding our grant submission for coastal protection works at Barrie Crescent Reserve, which we lodged in September last year,’ said a City of Newcastle spokesperson.

‘City of Newcastle closely monitored conditions in the lead up to the weekend’s large-swell event, which is why we reinforced existing sandbagging works with an additional 75 one-tonne sandbags.’

 

Advertisement



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here