Super weekday suppers: Chicken, mushrom & kale pie
This recipe requires four individual pie dishes. You can make the filling a day ahead then assemble the pie a couple of hours before serving.
30g salted butter
4 skinless chicken breasts, diced
1 leek, finely sliced
280g button mushrooms, quartered
200g kale, sliced
1 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
250ml whole milk
100ml single cream
500g ready-made puff pastry (use butter puff or brush ordinary puff with a little melted butter)
1 medium free-range egg, beaten
fresh thyme leaves
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 180C fan/gas 6.
- Set a large saucepan over a medium heat and melt the butter. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the leek and cook for a further minute. Add the mushrooms and kale and cook for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the flour, stir and cook for a minute, then pour in the milk and cream and cook for 10 minutes, stirring, until the sauce has thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface and cut it into four pieces big enough to cover the four individual pie dishes. Spoon the chicken mixture into the four pie dishes and brush the rims with beaten egg. Lift the pastry on to the pies, trimming off any excess. Press down and crimp the edges with a fork. Cut a couple of slits in the pastry lids to let the steam escape and brush all over with the remaining beaten egg and sprinkle the thyme leaves on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden brown. Alternatively, you can make this in one large baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with steamed broccoli, asparagus, green beans or a green leaf salad alongside.